Food Safety and Quality Assurance - Full Time
Nurture Life, headquartered in the River North area of Chicago, is a subscription service that prepares wholesome, nutritious, ready-to-eat meals for babies, toddlers and kids and delivers them weekly, straight to customers’ doors. Our team of chefs and pediatric dietitian collaborate on every menu to ensure meals meet the changing nutritional needs of growing kids while introducing them to new flavors and textures. Our commitment to sourcing and producing the highest quality products and delivering a phenomenal customer experience means peace of mind for our families. Our passion is to impact the healthy development of children and revolutionize mealtime for families.
We are looking for a food safety and quality management technician who is passionate about ensuring that all of our meals are produced with the highest food safety standards. Nurture Life is a rapidly growing startup in the foodtech industry lead by a team with decades of experience in the technology and food and beverage industries. We are committed to transparency and collaboration in everything we do. If you’re looking for an exciting and challenging environment with strong career growth opportunities, please apply to join our team.
- Providing customers a phenomenal experience every time
- Sourcing and producing the highest quality products
- Investing in our people, our greatest asset
Your days will consist of…
Conducting Food Safety and Quality Assurance audits of our production facility ensuring company standards are maintained and product integrity is preserved. Consult with production team members and management to resolve food safety, quality and efficiency problems. Function as an information source to production and various company departments when special and critical food safety and quality issues occur. Function in conjunction with FSQA Manager on Quality Control and Compliance on special department projects. This description reflects essential functions and does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Ensure raw material files are current and ingredients purchased from approved suppliers are according to set specifications.
- Ensure maintenance of raw material Certificate of Analysis systems, calibrate and check weighing scales, sifters, etc.
- Ensure GMP’s (Good Manufacturing Practices) on the production floor.
- Confirm that production facility audit procedures (SQF) are properly carried out and assigned work schedules are maintained.
- Determine overall production facility food safety and quality by conducting and evaluating various product tests and tests related to ingredients and packaging.
- Resolve major food safety and quality problems at the production facility.
- Evaluate and take corrective action when necessary with regard to food safety and quality at all levels of product movement.
- Educate and instruct production facility personnel in recommended quality control testing, equipment sanitation and general sanitation and housekeeping practices. Confirm these procedures are being maintained.
- Consult with production facility management and personnel on better operational procedures to improve overall efficiency and product yields.
- Discuss production facility evaluation with management, make appropriate recommendations and set timetable for improvement and corrections.
- Function as an information source for production and other Nurture Life departments when critical food safety and quality issues arise.
- Prepare production facility evaluation reports and submit them to Manager, Quality Control and Compliance.
- Assist in development of special department projects and work in conjunction with Manager, Quality Control and Compliance.
- Accept responsibility of training and preparing new employees for this position.
- Strive to accomplish goals of the production facility plan, consistent with established manufacturing, quality and safety procedures.
- Follow company food safety and quality policies and requirements.
- Perform miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and required.
Work environment involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving machines in production facilities, handling of hazardous testing and sanitation chemicals. Protective clothing and gear such as goggles, gloves and shoes may be required.
Work requires some physical strain such as long periods of standing and walking in production facility, and lifting of moderately heavy items such as test equipment kits and product cases. Other physical demands include climbing, crouching and reaching.
We’d love for you to…
- Have a high school diploma, GED or Associate Degree in Science.
- Have 2-4 years experience in the food safety and quality assurance field, laboratory or production facility quality control.
We are proud to offer…
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401k savings plan
- Seven paid company holidays and ten vacation days per year
- A company stocked kitchen for your hydration and snack needs